Worries

It has been said that what we are in private is what we really are. C. S. Lewis noted if that if you have rats in your cellar, “You are most likely to see them if you go in very suddenly. But the suddenness does not create the rats: it only prevents them from hiding.” 

When worrying circumstances disturb our peace they are like the ears in the cellar. When something surprises us such as an unwelcome circumstance, then the problem of worry and anxiety suddenly surfaces.  

The issue is whether we view the Lord as near or the crisis as near. 

Here we find one of the ways Christianity is unique among the world’s religions: It claims that Jesus lives inside us by his Spirit and remakes us into his character (Romans 8:29). When he promises peace that is “not as the world gives” (John 14:27), he means that his peace transforms us despite our circumstances.

Philippians 4:1-7 ESV

Therefore, my brothers, whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm thus in the Lord, my beloved. [2] I entreat Euodia and I entreat Syntyche to agree in the Lord. [3] Yes, I ask you also, true companion, help these women, who have labored side by side with me in the gospel together with Clement and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life. [4] Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. [5] Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; [6] do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. [7] And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ryle

Matthew 13    The Great Separation

Conversion of Varani in Fiji