My times are in your hands - a thought on ageing

 This week I have had a reminder of our finitude and frailty.

After a fortnight of bad tummy pains I went to a doctor who recommended a quick trip to hospital to get a CT scan, ultra sounds and a blood test.  He recommended I travel by ambulance.  He insisted I was having fevers (I couldn’t feel them), which his thermometer convinced me may be possible.  

We drove to hospital.  

After much poking prodding and tests the surgeon (yes you read it right) insisted in had pancreatitis.  Several surgeons quizzed me about my alcohol consumption.  Other than chocolate liqueurs at Christmas my alcohol consumption is negligible, but try convincing the doctors of that.  Although they did believe Lorelle more than me.  

As the CT scan didn’t reveal gall stones (which would have required immediate surgery), they concluded I had endured the worst of it and just needed to give my pancreas more rest by not eating for awhile. 


In Psalm 31, David describes his “affliction,” the “distress” of his soul, and his “grief” over the fact that “my life is spent with sorrow” and he has “become like a broken vessel” (vv. 7–12). But rather than give in to despair, he prays, “I trust in you, O Lᴏʀᴅ; I say, ‘You are my God.’ My times are in your hand” (vv. 14–15). 


My times are in your hands.  


I first came across these words from psalm 31 on a wall hanging in Glen Innes while on a pastoral visit.  It was an elderly widows strong encouragement. 


The words were turned into a hymn last century by William Freeman Lloyd 


Each verse is well worthy of your consideration.


1 My times are in Your hand;
my God, I wish them there!
My life, my friends, my soul, I leave
entirely to Your care.

2 My times are in Your hand
whatever they may be,
pleasing or painful, dark or bright,
as You know best for me.

3 My times are in Your hand;
why should I doubt or fear?
My Father's hand will never cause
His child a needless tear.

4 My times are in Your hand:
Jesus, the Crucified;
those hands my cruel sins had pierced
are now my guard and guide.

5 My times are in Your hand;
such faith You give to me
that after death, at Your right hand
I shall for ever be.


As friends and family endure life’s difficulties we are reminded that our Fathers hand will never cause His child a needless tear.  



David can close his psalm by encouraging us to “be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lᴏʀᴅ!” (v. 24).


Psalm 31:23-24 ESV

Love the LORD, all you his saints! The LORD preserves the faithful but abundantly repays the one who acts in pride. [24] Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the LORD!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ryle

Matthew 13    The Great Separation

Conversion of Varani in Fiji